What's the best song you have heard today?

Happy Birthday to Welsh singer Thomas John Woodward, aka Tom Jones. This great singer is turning 84 today! What better way to celebrate his birthday than a little piece of music history from 1969. Raise your hand and raise your glass for Tom Jones and Janis Joplin :wine_glass:

Tom Jones and Janis Joplin - Raise your Hand

5 Likes

Boz Scagss turned 80 today

Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle

3 Likes

Happy Birthday to Nancy Sinatra, who is turning 84 today. When it comes to celebrating Nancy’s birthday, it has to be her signature song. Are you ready, boots

Nancy Sinatra - These Boots Are Made For Walkin’

While we’re at it celebrating Nancy Sinatra’s birthday, here’s one of the best known songs she did together with Lee Hazelwood.

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Some Velvet Morning

6 Likes

If you were a guitar, whose guitar would you want to be? The answer is obvious :wink:

Lee Hazlewood - Dolly Parton’s Guitar

3 Likes

114 years ago today Chester Arthur Burnett was born. Better known to the world as Howlin’ Wolf, he is generally regarded as one of the most influential blues musicians ever. After getting his first guitar in 1928, He became acquainted with Charley Patton, one of the most popular blues performers at that time, who taught him how to play guitar. There and then began a long career in music. After struggling through the 1930’s and 40’s, things began to work out for Howlin’ Wolf around 1950. He then remained active until two months before his death in January 1976.

So luckily Howlin’ Wolf lived to experience the blues revival in the 1950’s and 60’s. In the 50’s he began to gain more success, along with Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley. Then in the 60’s he got his due recognition and praise from musicians in the British blues boom, among others the Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood.

So today we can celebrate the memory of a blues legend, one of the true greats. Damn, what a voice this man had!

Howlin’ Wolf - Spoonful

Howlin Wolf - How Many More Years (with celebrity audience!)

5 Likes

Happy birthday to English singer, songwriter and guitarist Roy Harper, who is turning 83 today. He started out in 1966, and did quite well in the rest of the 60’s and through the 70’s. Today he is a little forgotten and is probably best known for a guest appearance, namely as the singer on “Have A Cigar” from Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here LP.

Which is a little sad, as Roy Harper did several fine albums back in his prime. Stormcock, produced by Jimmy Page, from 1971 is a classic. And he was a highly respected artist among the other musicians on the folk and rock scene around that time. On the song I’ve chosen to celebrate his birthday, he is backed by none others than Jimmy Page on guitar, Ronnie Lane on bass and Keith Moon on drums.

Roy Harper - Male Chauvinist Pig Blues

3 Likes

Thank you GladNGrumpy for providing the names of those musicians who have provided us with some magical moments. :tumbler_glass:

3 Likes

Let us celebrate the memory of English singer Reginald Maurice Ball, aka Reg Presley, who would have turned 83 today if he hadn’t passed away in 2013. He was the frontman in The Troggs, a band who had some considerable sucess from 1966 to 1968, getting to number 1 in the charts on several occasions, both the UK and the US, as well as in the Netherlands, Australia and South Africa.

For some reason, The Troggs’ popularity waned towards the end of the 60’s, and they didn’t really make much of themselves after that. Still, they left us with a fine batch of songs, among them With A Girl Like You, one of my all-time favourite songs. So here it is. Cheers to the memory of Reg Presley :wine_glass:

The Troggs - With A Girl Like You

6 Likes

Danke, dass Du bei mir wieder die Erinerung an eine meiner Lieblingsbands geweckt hast. Ich verfolge sie seit sie mit Wild Thing bekannt wurden.

3 Likes

When we are going to honor Reg Presley and The Troggs I would like to join in on this. One of the first records I got was the above mentioned “Wild Thing”. Brings back good old memories!

The Troggs - Wild Thing

6 Likes

My pleasure. I’m always glad to hear when my posts about music bring joy and happiness to others, whether it’s a good memory or discovering new music. That’s what it is all about for me.

4 Likes

I posted this one in July last year, and was actually thinking about putting a link to it in my post yesterday. For some reason I didn’t. However, that is a good idea, which I’ll try to keep in the back of my head for other occasions.

Being a little younger, I did not get into The Troggs until I got a 7" reissue with Wild Thing and With A Girl Like You years later. Must have been around 1980. I still have it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I usually search for previous posts but of course forgot this time! :face_with_monocle: :hugs:

2 Likes

on this day in 1995 Irish bluesguitarplayer and singer Rory Gallagher died in London aged 47
we already have some good songs in this topic made and sung by him, but this one is missing untill now

enjoy!

Rory Gallagher - Bullfrog Blues

5 Likes

Billie Holiday - Getting Some Fun Out of Life (1937)

2 Likes

Madeleine Peyroux - Between the Bars :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Today I’d like to pay tribute to one of the true pioneers of rock guitar, Cliff Gallup. He was the guitar player in Gene Vincent’s band The Blue Caps in 1956, playing on rock classics like Be-Bop-A-Lula and Race With the Devil. He was born 94 years ago today.

Cliff Gallup appeared on only 35 recordings with Gene Vincent, but that was enough to leave his mark on the history of rock music. He was a technically sk__led player, who left a blueprint for later guitar players to develop further. Jeff Beck, Brian Setzer and Eric Clapton are among those inspired by his playing.

Cliff Gallup was a family man, so he quit the Blue Caps late 1956, when their rising popularity demanded more touring. However, he did not quit music, and kept on playing with local bands the rest of his life. His last gig was in October 1988, around 48 hours before he suffered a fatal heart attack. I raise my glass to Clff Gallup’s memory :wine_glass:

Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps - Race With the Devil (1956)

3 Likes

Happy Birthday to Chris Spedding, who is turning 80 today! Some of you may not have heard of this English guitar player, but he’s got quite the resume. Known as a versatile guitarist, he has recorded and played with Bryan Ferry, John Cale, Brian Eno, Harry Nilsson, Elton John, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and so on! Let us not forget the players behind the big names!

Now Chris Spedding did some solo records, and actually had a hit in the UK in 1975 with the song Motor Bikin’. Happy Birthday again, to Chris Spedding :wine_glass:

Chris Spedding - Motor Bikin’

3 Likes

Knowing that this song has already been posted recently, I would like to dedicate it to Lucas on the occasion of the very sad news that has reached the community. My highest regards and respect for the fact that he did his duty, risking his life to defend his country and his loved ones. No one should have to go through such terrible times. May he rest in peace. We will never forget him. :peace_symbol: :dove:

10 Likes

For Lucas :heart:

8 Likes