VHTV participants and guests (and forum members) in songs

James “Iron Head” Baker and a group of fellow prisoners from a Texas prison - Black Betty

Leadbelly’s version was recorded in 1939. However, this is the first recorded version of this song, recorded by the well known folklorists John and Alan Lomax in 1933. The song itself is most probably even older than that.

Forgive me, I don’t want to nitpick, but this version of the song turned up in my YouTube recommendations a few days before these posts. I came to think of it, and found it to be a funny coincidence. I guess I passed by Ram Jam’s version some time ago. Never hurts with a little music history though.

Speaking of music history, in 1933 John and Alan Lomax also visited a prison in Louisiana, and recorded some songs by a certain Huddie William Ledbetter. The rest is…history :smiley:

Now back to the topic, which is Betty

1 Like

Toto - Pamela

Two Pamela’s in one song

2 Likes

Cockney Rebel - Muriel the Actor

2 Likes

Faun - Gaia

Gaia, much missed :heart:

2 Likes

The Nat Adderley Sextet & Rick Holmes - Libra

Libra

5 Likes

Marlene Dietrich - Lili Marleen

Lili :heart:

4 Likes

Friedrich Hollaender - Sabrina

Sabrina :heart:

b1036ce643f0ef70817ea4f89231f55f0b746e0e_2_690x486

4 Likes

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Sonia’s Theme

Sonia :heart_eyes_cat:

3 Likes

Dorian Electra - Sodom & Gomorrah

Sodom and Gomorrah

5 Likes

Siora & Zelda

Odcinam się ft.DJ Czarli (prod. 2sty) - Siora

Legend of Zelda Theme

5 Likes

Joan Baez - A Song For David

Here’s one for a beloved forum member. I hope you don’t mind @David

5 Likes

No I don’t mind at all. I had never heard it before or the lady singing it. It’s a lovely song and her voice is very nice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ashley Hutchings and friends - Morris Call

In loving memory of Morris :face_holding_back_tears: :heart:

283a96b361de98b5115371149e8957ae4d178ff1_2_666x500

4 Likes

Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane

Lou Reed has been quoted saying this is his favourite cover version of this song.

Dusty Springfield - Sandra

Jane and Sandra :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This Marimba rendition is one of the most extraordinary things I have ever seen, musically speaking. Thank you for posting it.

1 Like

The Nips - Gabrielle

Gabrielle

2 Likes

Ricky Nelson - Cindy

Erykah Badu - Tyrone

Cindy & Tyrone

5 Likes

That first video “Cindy”, quite a good song and Ricky Nelson was looking rather handsome in those pictures it showed. :slight_smile:

Yes, I really like lots of songs from that era. They had a certain charm to them. And for a while Ricky Nelson was one of the heart-throbs back in those days.

Gino Vanelli - Felicia

Felicia :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes