VHTV and the Chamber of Chatters

Very closely related to “old fashioned norwegian”. Icelandish. Personally I do not understand a word of Icelandish. Even though it is old fashioned norwegian. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :hugs:

I don’t speak/understand Old English, although I can see æg is egg, and ‘stow’ is still a word for ‘place’ but the meaning has changed from a noun to a verb… ‘to stow’ something means to place something somewhere… ‘stow your gear in that locker’

I have major issues with that old fashioned english. Honestly. I am sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should probably have understood it better. I should also have understood icelandish in a better fashion. Most probably. :slight_smile:

I am going to have to leave you folks now… I have a Zoom call to my granddaughter in Australia in less than 7 hours :yawning_face:

1 Like

He’ll wake up eventually !! :fearful: :boot:

2 Likes

That’s odd. You translated it from the language Anderson wrote it in, to the German version, Schischka, which is Shishka in English. That seems like a translation to me.

1 Like

I also used another translator that said it’s Bump.

It is if you TRANSLATE to GERMAN! But, in the language in which Anderson wrote it, it translates to Bump.

1 Like

I did not translate it - I transcribed it. First in German then in English. We do not translate pets names.

1 Like

He looks too little to be away from his mommy… :sob: @Anderson how old is your newest guest/fur baby? :thinking: :pleading_face: :cat:

Sorry to interfere again, but Jabs didn’t translate that word. He just transcribed from the Cyrilic alphabet into the Latin one. Again, that’s a name, like “John” can not be translated…

Just as example: this is my name in cyrilic = “Джон”. You don’t translate it, but only transcribe it into the Latin alphabet and will be “John”.

2 Likes

And exactly WHY NOT?? They are residents and just as much of the project as their human participants/guests are they not? If they are being put in the VHTV Wiki. Why are they not being given the same simple curtesies as their human counterparts, such as name translations… :pleading_face: :cry: :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Give me any example where we translated any name in a different language??
You do not translate names.

1 Like

He did no such thing. When you take a word written in one language, and write it in a different language, that’s called translation, not transcription.

Transcription takes audio information and converts it to a written format. Translation takes information in a particular language and converts it to one or more additional languages.

3 Likes

Well you are completely wrong

1 Like

Your quote implies that “we” (you/other moments operators/VHTV) translate names for others, ie. humans, but not for pets. Maybe what you are tying to say has been lost in translation from German to English… :man_shrugging:t2: :crying_cat_face:

Okay let me put it that way: Names in general (Pets and Humans) get transcribed if necessary but not translated.

2 Likes

Ok well if the rule is the same for both then that is fair. No argument by me. Your previous comments, at least for me made it sound like you had different rules for pet names vs human names.

2 Likes

Ok, just to stop this (very childish argument, sorry), Jabs made a letter by letter conversion from cyrilic to latin. That’s the only way to have accurate names. So let’s simply call it “Script conversion”

I hope that you understood the essence

1 Like

I don’t know what this is or where it came from, but just because they used the wrong word to describe a process, doesn’t mean you’re correct.

The primary difference between translation and transcription is that translation involves converting material into another language, while transcription involves only the source language.

In terms of linguistics, translate means to express the meaning of spoken or written words in another language; transcribe means to write out a copy; and a transcription is the written version of the spoken word.

Transcription provides you with an accurate record of what was said (spoken, recorded, etc.)

Transcription takes audio information and converts it to a written format. Translation takes information in a particular language and converts it to one or more additional languages.

1 Like