The Eurovision Song Contest

For those of you who are worried about my money: I got my money back since the Dutch entry got a DNS (did not start) flag in the contest.
I don’t care about the money. The mood in The Netherlands at the moment is: Fuck the EBU, fuck Eurovision. This years edition had so much controversy, the slogan ‘United by Music’ looks like a joke.
Swedish people were unhappy that their entry was actually from Norway. Israël participating caused a lot of upset. And then Joost Klein was banned.
What happened is still unclear. The Dutch say he made a threatening gesture to a female camera woman, the EBU say he mollested her and her camera. It is under investigation.
Personally I liked Croatia better than Zwitserland. What place the Dutch would have gotten we will never know. Joost Klein is still extremely popular everywhere, not only in Holland. It’s a shame how things developed. This songcontest was invented to celebrate that Europe is united and wars are a thing from the past. It looks like we are overtaken by reality. :cry:

2 Likes

yes you are right ,but because they put a lot of money in ,they can be bottom and still be in the final thats 1 of the rules they made i think that untied kingdom should stop paying money and put it where its needed

How much is ‘a lot of money’? To put things in perspective, here are some facts:

The Big Five (Germany, UK, Spain, Italy, and France) pay about 400.000 Euro’s per year. For that they are automaticaly placed in the final

Every day, an episode of the News, (BBC News, Tagesshau) or a single episode of your favorite tv series costs around that much. (400.000 Euros)

When you win the contest, next year you are the host. Hosting the event costs around 8 to 30 million euros. The EBU provides around 6 million euros. The host will have to pay the rest.

To be a member of the EBU, a country annualy has to pay between 40.000 and 400.000 euros, depending on its size. <source>

So there you go. Being one of the Big 5 is relatively cheap. It guarantees a place in the final and the continuity of the organisation.

4 Likes

Je n’ai rien contre Israel, mais je pensais que c’était un concours européen. A ma connaissance Israel ne fait pas partie de l’europe …

Australia has also participated in the ESC. That is strange, considering the fact that Australia is not a part of europe at all. :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It is not important if part of Europe but Member of the EBU. Israel is in Asia as well…

1 Like

There was a certain outburst group that actually actively formed a boicot of the regular competition because they wanted to protest against the basic human rights and civil rights breaches being committed and such stuff. It was actually quite quite a lot of writing space about this also in some norwegian media for example. :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The whole of The Netherlands have declared war against the Eurovision organisation. But we don’t fight with bullets and guns. We choose music and love.

3 Likes