Problem with notifications on the topics / topics automatically marked as read

I want to address a problem that has been bothering me at irregular intervals for months:
Like most users, I follow topics, or not, depending on my preferences. However, there has been a problem for some time now: sometimes random topics here are suddenly marked as read fully automatically, even if I haven’t clicked on the topic at all. This doesn’t really matter for the non-subscribed topics, but for the subscribed ones there is no marking of how many unread posts there are… because they are marked as read.
For myself, I found a way to ‘fix’ it: as soon as I post in these topics, the behavior immediately goes back to normal.

I wasn’t able to identify a system behind the error. neither in terms of time nor are the same topics over and over again.
today e.g. ‘lilith’, ‘queen’ and ‘harmony’ (already ‘fixed’ with a post) are affected

I don’t know how long this has been happening, it first happened after the forum software crashed many months ago

Am I the only one this happens to?

1 Like

I have a problem as well, but, it is exactly the other way around. Even after i read everything from a Topic, it is still shows me as unread. My “fix” is to close the forum and open it again

2 Likes

Happening here as well

1 Like

Bij mij worden de pagina’s traag of niet geladen .
Zelfde probleem ook met als ik iets wil posten , na vele pogingen en herhalingen lukt het wel .

1 Like

the same topics as mine?
I’m trying to find connections… whether it’s the topics or something going wrong in the follow-settings of the user profile

1 Like

It’s getting to be embarrassing… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I’m the lucky one again who hasn’t had these problems yet… :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

It varies, I’ve had it on Queen, Clara and Stas, Harmony, Tyrone and Cindy and others on occasion. Doesn’t happen all the time to the same ones. Like I said, it varies. Also comes and goes.

1 Like

Let me know when you notice it happening with a specific topic, we’ll check if we can see any connections too. From said above, sounds like a intermittent bug which will be hard to track or fix (what is usually done from Discourse side) :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Pretty much a discourse bug. I can’t reproduce it too however

1 Like

I just checked, I haven’t fixed Lilith and Queen yet. You could take a look at what it looks like in my profile and in the forum. Both are currently on ‘follow’

1 Like

@kaya happening to me now with Tyrone and Cindy. I can’t see a new post count and it looks like i have read everyting in the topic when i haven’t.

1 Like

I just checked: this topic is ok for me. It seems to be in the profiles, not the topics

1 Like

freshly ‘broken’: Ariela & Sebastian (Part 2). It worked not longer since this post (Ariela & Sebastian (Part 2) - #5242 by Rosario3892)

1 Like

Marica & Shinobu and Tonk now broken on my end. I have not read these.

1 Like

I’ve had this problem, too. My fix is to open the topic again and close it, then it shows as read.

1 Like

i too have the same problem i see the same notifications after i have already read them…the only way to make them disappear is to reload the page…

1 Like

I’m having the same problem too cause I will go through my favorite topics and it will have the number of posts and I will have to refresh the page and it goes away cause I already read that topic

1 Like

We just have to be careful now that the two problems ‘topics are automatically marked as read and thats why there is no mark for new posts’ and ‘the mark for new posts doesn’t disappear even if I have already read the topic’ do not mix too much. I was actually only concerned with the first case…

1 Like

I don’t know where to post this so i’ll try it here.

Does anyone else have this problem for the last couple of days ? Almost all i get into notifications is this “Earned Nice Reply”

I suspect that there might be a glitch or error ?

Just checking further, that “Nice Reply” supposed to happen when a post get’s 10 likes (hearts).

Not a single one of my posts, awarded with that badge recently, had 10 likes (hearts) reactions but at least 10 reactions all together.
I am sure now that there is a glitch. Maybe @kaya can look into this

1 Like

Normally you only received this “award” if a posting received at least 10 hearts.
This award has already been available for 10 emojis for a few days now.
I don’t know if that’s what VHTV wanted, but I find it pretty annoying.

1 Like