Previews for videos are now back. Please vote if it should stay this way

We have recently noticed the video previews are no longer displaying for newly uploaded media. Upon investigation, it turned out they were disab__d within forum software core due to specific performance reasons:

I haven’t personally noticed any difference in performance for video playback, nor I noticed the videos being loaded in the background without my intention, so I decided to return the previews back. There is at least one confirmation here that disabling previews helped with forum performance for specific devices, but my personal opinion is that it’s better to keep the preview behavior to the state we all got used to and it’s just a matter of convenience.

Though I’m sure we’ll keep the previews on, countering the core changes, you can express your opinion on either having previews or black boxes for videos via Poll below:

Should we keep previews Enab__d for videos?
  • Yes, please keep the previews
  • No, i’m fine with no previews (black boxes)
0 voters

Only users with Trust Level 2+ are eligible to express their opinion on this matter via this poll

1 Like

Seems like just me & @Just_In use a tablet then :joy::joy:

1 Like

Could you please share your device & software information? OS version & software could possibly help millions of people who may be also affected by this HTML/Video experience around the web. The issue described by core developers doesn’t seem to apply to Discourse only, but it is something with how browsers get the metadata for videos if they are embedded in HTML & metadata crawl is allowed by the webpage.

You can forward these details to me via chat/pm

2 Likes