Posts translation is back

Since forum launch we ran into the issue with user’s post translation, which could have three possible solutions:

• Enforcing english-only communication
  • Introducing Google’s or alternative global translation widget
  • Making something different.

The first option is not the best one in all terms, especially in terms of convenience to non-english speakers & issues with discrimination, which may be speculated by some users, but would not be intended by us, of course.

Global widget is not the best solution in terms of design & privacy issues.

That’s why we introduce granular per-post translation. We’ve enabled inline translation for public posts, which is available for posts when poster’s locale is different from yours. It looks like this:

Translation Demo

translation

Your feedback is much appreciated. This costs us money, but it will take some time for us to get estimates on how pricey it may become (or not). Hope you’ll like this feature and it will help more non-English speakers join the forum in the future.

episode 12 friends GIF

P.S. Your locale preferences can be changed here.

3 Likes

Wow cool. Great idea :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

O no you can’t be seriously thinking about and helping the community, I mean this doesn’t help the naysayers one bit. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe we now even understand what that guy from Somerset means? :joy:

The Internet can’t work all miracles. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

AS a sassonack it may help with haggis translations from the far north of our country (whilst i have my doubts its triple dutch ) :smiley:

And looking to that Dana post, seems it’s a very reliable translation It will avoid having to open google translate tab everytime someone write in russian :smiley:

So basically, will translate the post to the language we have defined on profile??

There was the other day either china or jap post and i felt sorry we could not include in this mad house forum

Yes. The link to profile’s interface settings was added to the first post.

In addition, I’ve enabled language detection for newcoming users, which gathers information from user’s browser. This will set forum’s locale automatically for “non-english” browsers.

Just checked that, changing my profile locale to different language, all our posts became available for translation.

Rob, JB, Let’s, heeeeelp😂

@VHTV It doesn’t work for me.

Need more data. Which post are you trying to translate? What is your current forum locale?

It happens on every post I try to translate

Thanks Stanley, I’m able to reproduce the issue, will take a look at the root of it. Will give you an update

cogs working into the night then splattttt ,sorry its still not working get back to google you idiot . :rofl: sorry vhtv my sence of humour

Great feature so far for me. Many thanks, guys.

Hey @stanley,

The issue was reported to developers, hope they will be able to fix it soon. Until then, you’d better change your locale to English (US) in your account preferences.

oops see my previous post

The closest language the translator will achieve is English, I think. :laughing: … Sorry Rob! :hugs:

1 Like

What did you mean by privacy issues ?