What's the best song you have heard today?

Well, I have tendency to choose lesser known songs instead of going for the more obvious ones. Not always, but this time around I did just that. And this time I may have been wrong in doing so. Sometimes it just has to be the obvious.

On the bright side, one more song for Eric Burdon’s birthday :joy:

2 Likes

Happy Birthday to English singer, keyboardist and guitarist Steve Winwood, who is turning 76 today. He got his breakthrough at the age of 17, when the Spencer Davis Group hit number 1 in the UK with Keep On Running. Then came Traffic, the super group Blind Faith, solo albums and session work for numerous artists, among them Marianne Faithful, Lou Reed, George Harrison and David Gilmour.

So it is a man with a solid resume we are celebrating today. And a great singer!

Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running

Traffic - Dear Mr. Fantasy

Blind Faith - Can’t Find My Way Back Home

4 Likes

Johnny Bristol - Hang On In There Baby

3 Likes

Andy Kim ~ Rock Me Gently 1974 Disco Purrfection Version

3 Likes

on this day 49 years ago this single was released

still one of my all time favorite bands

Status Quo - Roll Over Lay Down

4 Likes

Today I want to congratulate Gene Cornish on his 80th birthday. He is a Canadian-American guitarist and harmonica player and an original member of the popular 1960s blue-eyed soul band The Rascals (initially known as the Young Rascals). From 1965 to 1970, the band recorded eight albums and had thirteen singles that reached Billboard’s Top 40 chart. In 1997, as a founding member of The Rascals, Cornish was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.
I had almost forgotten about this group when I happened to see it was his birthday. They had one song in particular that I remember very well. This brings back good memories!

The Young Rascals - Groovin’ (1967)

5 Likes

14 years ago today one of the best vocalists ever died

Ronnie James Dio - Holy Diver

4 Likes

Happy Birthday to English guitarist Robert Fripp, who is turning 78 today. He is first and foremost known from the prog rock band King Crimson, but also from numerous collaborations and guest appearances, with among others Peter Gabriel, Talking Heads, David Sylvian, John Paul Jones and last but not least David Bowie. Who can forget Fripp’s epic guitar on the Bowie classic Heroes?

A wide range of gutarists have cited Robert Fripp as an inspiration. From prog gutarists, such as Omar Rodríguez-López of The Mars Volta and Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree, via The Edge of U2, to metal guitarists like Kirk Hammett of Metallica and Ivar Bjørnson of Norwegian extreme metal band Enslaved.

King Crimson debut album In the Court of the Crimson King from 1969 is by many regarded to be the first progressive rock album ever, with songs varying from heavy, experimental and challenging to beutiful, symphonic and melodic. To celebrate Robert Fripp’s birthday I’ve chosen a song in the latter category. Epitaph is almost eight and a half minutes of pure beauty, with a certain unease to it.

King Crimson - Epitaph

4 Likes

Happy Birthday to Jonathan Richman, who is turning 73 today. This American singer and songwriter has made a bit of a career from writing and singing whimiscal and almost c___dlike songs, backed up by music based in traditional rock ‘n’ roll and pop. In some strange way this has worked. His songs are fun and catchy. They can make you hum along and they can make you stop and think, sometimes at the same time. So here’s a big cheer to Jonathan Richman on his birthday.

Jonathan Richman - That Summer Feeling

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Abominal Snowman In the Market

I did see Jonathan Ricman & The Modern Lovers sometime back in the latter part of the 1980’s. Fun gig is all I have to say about that memory.

4 Likes

oh man, you bring back sweet memories in my head!
together wirh the friendgroup in my youth we had a lot of fun on the music of that guy!

There was a refugee from the former Eastern Germany (GDR) who came to live in our village and earned his money with an ice cream cart. He was also very happy with the cooling in his cart, because the gin remained at a good temperature.
Every time he came by we sang this song at the top of our lungs

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Ice Cream Man

and because we live in the Netherlands, there were already many mind-expanding substances that you could put in a cigarette

many people then started singing this song
(of course I was on the sidelines watching :innocent: )

Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers - I am A Little Airplane

3 Likes

Glad to hear, I also remember both these two songs well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

He didn’t go for genever then?

Yes, of course :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

yes he did, i used the translator, mostly i don’t, so i won’t do it again :joy:

i always been a good boy, although my m____r had another opinion in those days :pray: :pray:

3 Likes

Well, haven’t we all :innocent:
Except the occasional slip-up :stuck_out_tongue:

The Modern Lovers - She Cracked

3 Likes

Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California

Happy Birthday to English/Gibraltarian singer and songwriter Albert Hammond, who is turning 80 today. In 1970 he moved to the US to pursue a career in music. It didn’t really work out too well for him on the US market, as well as in the UK. However, in continantal Europe several of his singles charted. He even got to number 1 in Spain and Norway.

Albert Hammond’s career as an artist soon faded a little, but his songwriting sk__ls kept him busy. The list of artists his written or co-written songs for got some rather impressive names on it, including Aretha Franklin, The Hollies, Diana Ross, The Carpenters, Whitney Houston and Glen Campbell among several others.

I’d like to celebrate Albert Hammond’s birthday with one of the first songs I remember from when I started getting into rock and pop music over 50 years ago. Damn, where did the years go? Cheers, and Happy Birthday to Albert Hammond.

5 Likes

I’d like to pay tribute to yet another musician that “no ones” heard about, but still many have heard. English keyboardist John Hawken passed away Wednesday this week at the age of 84. After starting out in Nashville Teens, who had a couple of minor hits in the mid 1960’s, he went on to join Renaissance and then Strawbs. The latter is probably what he may be best known for, contributing keyboards to the mighty Hero and Heroine album.

4 Likes

Some great names in the music industry united in 2008
Joe Satriani , Sammy Hagar(Van Halen singer/guitarplayer) , Chad Smith(RHCP Drummer) and Michael Anthony(Van Halen singer/bassguitarplayer)

“Chickenfoot” was once the ‘working title’ when they started jamming at Sammy Hagar’s club the Cabo Wabo Cantina in Cabo San Lucas Mexico in 2008. The band’s name and logo are a reference to a disparaging term used to describe the symbol of peace, the “American Chicken Footprint”. The album ‘Chickenfoot’ was almost entirely written by Joe Satriani and Sammy Hagar.
afbeelding

Chickenfoot - Soap On A Rope

3 Likes

John Robert Cocker, better known as Joe Cocker, would have turned 80 today. He passed away in 2014, after a long and successful career, with several hits in several countries. His trademark was a rough and gritty voice and a very distinct on stage perfomance.

Joe Cocker is probably best remembered for his iconic live performance at the Woodstock festival in 1969, singing his version of the Beatles’ song With A Little Help From My Friends. What better way to celebrate the memory of Joe Cocker.

Joe Cocker - With A Little Help From My Friends

Joe Cocker was one of the greats, so he deserves one more. Here he is, with Leon Russell on lead guitar, with his version of a Traffic song.

Joe Cocker - Feelin’ Alright

4 Likes

The Beatles - When I’m 64

Today it’s Happy Birhday…to me! Well…might as well :sunglasses: :guitar: :smile_cat:

The day of “many years to come” is (finally?) here :joy:

5 Likes

Happy birthday!

3 Likes

Hey, happy birthday, Grumpy. :heart:

A little over 3 months and I’ve reached the 64 too… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes