What's the best song you have heard today?

Peter Gabriel - Big Time

Un día como hoy, pero de 1943, nacía Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou o “Vangelis”.
En lo personal, lo conocía por la composición de otras piezas musicales hasta que mi papá (en épocas donde recién se sabía de YouTube) me dijo: "quiero que me busques un tema que escuchaba en el año 1982, que sonaba “naná…nanananaaaaa”, el cual era interpretado por Vangelis y alguien más.
A esa información con bajas probabilidades de hallazgo, le sumó que el tema se llamaba algo así como “frendof mistercairo” (imaginense alguien que no sabe inglés y habla castellano tratando de pronunciarlo)
La historia termina felizmente por fortuna porque, tras mucho buscar, encuentro este temazo que lo escuchó hasta días antes de fallecer, allá por el 2015.
Esta es la versión corta, pero la larga es genial.

5 Likes

Thunderclap Newman - Something In the Air

Today is the day to celebrate the memory of John David Percy Keen, better known as Speedy Keen. He wrote this song in the short-lived band Thunderclap Newman, and the song became a hit in 1969, with three weeks at number 1 in the UK charts.

After Thunderclap Newman, Speedy Keen wrote music for TV-shows, and worked as a session musician and producer. Among other things, he produced the first Motörhead LP. To Speedy Keen’s memory, here is the great hit song he wrote and sang.

By the way, Thunderclap Newman’s only LP Hollywood Dream may be worth checking out. I don’t have it anymore, but as far as I remember, it was pretty damn good.

5 Likes

The Stranglers - (Get A ) Grip (On Yourself)

Here’s to the memory of Dave Greenfield, keyboard player in the English band The Stranglers. He would have turned 75 today if he hadn’t passed away in 2020. To Dave’s memory, his keyboard playing is prominently feutured in this great track, one of my favourite songs by The Stanglers.

Hugh Cornwell (vocals and guitar): He was the difference between the Stranglers and every other punk band. His musical sk__l and gentle nature gave an interesting twist to the band. He should be remembered as the man who gave the world the music of Golden Brown.

4 Likes

Jacqui McShee’s Pentangle - She Moves Through the Fair

I’d like to pay tribute to yet another of the unsung heroes in rock music. English drummer Gerry Conway passed away yesterday at the age of 76. From the late 1980’s he was the drummer in Pentangle and in addition from the late 1990’s also in Fairport Convention, both seminal British folk rock bands.

If that’s not enough. Gerry goes way back. He also recorded and/or played live with Fotheringay, Jethro Tull, Al Stewart, Joan Armatrading, Cat Stevens and many others. Drummers are often a little forgotten, but this is a man who’s been around! Thank you for the music Gerry, may you be remembered!

One last note, the woman in front of Gerry singing this beutiful version of this well-known Irish folk song, is long time Pentangle singer Jacqui McShee. She was Gerry’s wife :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

DragonF___e - Through the Fire and Flames

6 Likes

Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone (Official Video - Top Gun)

7 Likes

Bad Company - Ready For Love

Happy Birthday to English guitarist and songwriter Mick Ralphs! He is turning 80 today! With his time in Mott the Hoople and Bad Company, this man has surely made his mark in rock history. The song Ready For Love were recorded by both bands, and I think Bad Company’s version is the best.

Sound is not the best, but still pretty decent.

5 Likes

Hoy en el noticiero hablaron del natalicio de Tracy Chapman, el 30 de marzo. Esta canción me encanta y, obviamente, la pasaron en conmemoración.
Recuerdo que la primera vez que la escuché, pensé que era interpretada por un hombre. Debe ser que mis auriculares no eran buenos y tenía más graves de lo que la voz de Tracy realmente tiene jajaja.

4 Likes

La banda sonora entera de esta película es buenísima. Richard Marx (además de Berlín), un golazo.

2 Likes

Manu Chao - Clandestino

5 Likes

Marvin Gaye - Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) (1971)

40 years ago today the great singer Marvin Gaye passed away in a tragic manner, on the day before his 45th birthday. He charted with loads of songs, three of them at number 1. In his memory, here is Inner City Blues, with a message as relevant today as it was over 50 years ago.

4 Likes

The Saints - All Fools Day

This song and this day are an opportunity to remember yet another good band that time somehow have forgotten a little about. The song here may not be the most representative from this Australian band, as they often were faster and more rocking. Still, the song title fits the day today. And it is a fine song!

On All Fools Day
We can all join together
On All Fools Day
We can join the celebration
On All Fools Day

3 Likes

Coeur De Pirate - Les Amours Dévouées

4 Likes

already posted it in another topic, but it belongs here as well!

Booker T. Jones – Green Onions

7 Likes

Hier mal ein guter Coversong. :wink:
Dymytry ist eine (meiner Meinung nach) sehr coole Band aus Tschechien. :wink: :metal:

5 Likes

Peter Case - Walk In the Woods

Happy Birthday to American singer and songwriter Peter Case, who is turning 70 today. He first came to notice in the 1970’s in The Nerves, who has the original to Blondie’s hit Hanging On the Telephone (not written by Peter), and then into the 80’s with The Plimsouls, who had a minor hit with A Million Miles Away (written by Peter).

In the mid-eighties Peter Case went solo, and had a bit of success with his first three albums. after which his career has been rather low key, though he has been releasing albums and touring more or less regularly. He is a fine songwriter, with strong melodies and storytelling lyrics. Happy 70 to Peter Case!

This song is from Peter Case’s debut album (1986). Well worth checking out if you like what you hear. I will also recommend his second album, Blue Guitar (1989). After that it’s plenty of other fine songs to investigate further.

4 Likes

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

Happy Birthday to Stan Ridgway, who is our second 70 today. He was the singer on Wall of Voodoo’s two first albums, before going solo. Mexican Radio was a minor hit in the US, and the song Camouflage from his first solo LP charted pretty high in several European countries.

Stan Ridgway - Camouflage

3 Likes

America - Sandman

one of the titles besides “A horse with no name” and “Ventura Highway” that is the older group America for me.

4 Likes

Metallica - Enter Sandman (Live in Mexico City) [Orgullo, Pasión, y Gloria]

Because a sandman is not necessarily the same sandman. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes